If you don’t know who Hayley Atwell is, you probably will soon if you’re into those “comic-book” movies. Â Hayley is set to appear in the new Captain America movie that releases on July 22nd. Â Haylee recently sat down with Esquire for a ninety minute conversation. Â Here are a few things she had to say about herself and her role in the movie:
1. I just randomly tackle people in the streets when it suits me.
2. When I met with the director of Captain America [out July 22], I hadn’t seen the script, and I had to go meet him, and we spoke for like an hour. With a lot of those big films, they’ll do that instead of an audition â€” and I prefer them, because I love a chat. I’ve found the messier the meeting gets, the more successful. You vomit on someone’s shirt, it’s probably going to work in your favor. Because you shared something: an intimate moment of drunken behavior.
3. When Chris Evans first took his shirt off on the set of Captain America, I just instinctively grabbed his man boob. They kept it in the film. So we did a couple of takes of me being really inappropriate with my hand on his pec for the duration of the scene.
4. I was wearing Spanx. A big old pair of Spanx. Really hot.
5. I’d been wanting to do an “action” film and of course I get cast in an action film set in the forties. [Note: Her oeuvre is mostly period films: Brideshead Revisited (2008), The Duchess (2008), and last year’s Starz miniseries The Pillars of the Earth, which earned her her first Golden Globe nomination. In Captain America, she plays a British military agent.]
6. I’ll say to Team Atwell, “What is this project about?” And they’ll say, “Okay, look, it’s not a great script, but it’ll give you exposure,” or “It’s three months in the Caribbean.” In which case I would probably say, “I’ll do it.” That’s a legitimate reason to take a job. I once spent four months in Africa shooting The Prisoner [a 2009 AMC miniseries also starring Ian McKellen and Jim Caviezel]. What else could I do on the planet that allows me to go there for all that time? – read more
Captain America Trailer